Sunday 20 July 2014

How To Train Your Dragon 2 Review

Ok, How to Train Your Dragon 2.

I'm not going to waste any time at all in saying this. You won't see a better animated movie in the next 10 years, and good luck in finding a better one in the past 10 too. Frozen can suck it. I can literally feel the crosshairs on my forehead as I'm typing this.

Firstly, the sheer level in detail in the animation is simply jaw-dropping on countless occasions throughout the film. The wind blowing through Hiccup's hair as he and the ever lovable Toothless share an incredible rollercoaster ride of synchronized gliding is nothing short of spectacular. It really is. Like "falling, but with bags and bags of style", I'm paraphrasing. Not just the expressions on the characters faces but the frighteningly realistic scenery that wouldn't look out of place in James Cameron's Avatar or Eden HD. The first time we re-encounter our heroes after a 5 year absence, we are treated (very appropriate word) with a vista that I have since convinced myself was actually taken from the islands of the South Indian Ocean or The mountains of New Zealand, because oh no there's no way anyone's going to tell me that was CGI, don't be silly.

There's also the small, but in my opinion essential detail that is shown wonderfully in the way the characters have actually aged. An interesting mechanic that isn't noticed in other big-hitting children's films like the Ice Age and Shrek franchises. Yes I am aware Andy aged throughout the Toy Story trilogy, but his beloved miniature companions didn't. Dragon 2 also succeeds with plenty of nice, charming, family-friendly laughs. Some brilliantly playing off the post-teenage attitudes of Hiccup's peers, "Babe, I grew facial hair for you".

And finally, you don't get to see an animated film in this day and age without striving to maintain your manliness and not shed a tear or two. How To Train Your Dragon 2 is most certainly no exception in this respect. Can't say anymore unfortunately for fear of spoilers but you won't be disappointed. Another thing, this movie had balls. It threatened to tread dark ground that is considered taboo in children's films , and it followed through in some areas. You know what? I love that ambitious nature. You know another thing? How To Train Your Dragon 2 is the best animated movie of all-time for me and you owe it to yourself to see, nay, experience it. Go ahead Frozen fans, blow my brains out.

Verdict: 10/10
Instant classic. Raises the bar for animation technology in the future. Also, Toothless, I want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment